Sunday, December 2, 2012

A Homemade, Handmade Christmas...


If you are anything like me, when it comes to making things, then you want results ... well....NOW.
Although I do tackle projects that require some patience from time to time, I usually favour the ideas that don't demand an awful lot of fuss... or skill ... or money.












Yep... I like it cheap, cheerful and easy.
So here are a few of the things I've made thus far.
Bunting using nothing but ....




















... a packet of paper doilies, some glue, a few festive stamps and twine.
(Inspired by this lovely lady)




















next up.... bling bunting!
















So you want make cheap, pretty ... oh and not to mention "completely unique" gift tags do you?
Well all I did was take a cute Christmas figurine (in this case my trusty Kitsch Deer - bought here)
and laid it over some vintage music paper (which I thrifted).....




















Then I took a Hipstamatic photo & processed it again using Lumie....











.... then I took my image to Officeworks and printed a whopping one hundred for only nine dollars.
(A tip: Hipstamatic images are of course square, so you need to go into edit mode and zoom
out so that the image is not incorrectly cropped) 

Trim edges, punch a hole in the top, add some twine and .....




















Voila... your one of a kind gift tags.
I plan on using some as place cards and Christmas postcards too.

Next up... lanterns...




















I used the same vintage musical paper & made a few A4 sized colour photocopies...
(You could use any image that allowed the candle light to shine through)




















Then use some double sided tape to create a tube, pop a tea-light in a glass container 
(this is a must for safety peoples) and there you have it...




















.... too easy...




















.... and a great way to create a festive atmosphere.
If you're planning on using these outside then you can always secure a strip of
paper along the bottom end and secure this with easy-tac to the base of the candle holder.
























Well what do you think peoples? Fun, affordable and did I mention EASY?
Of course kids can get involved and you can make a whole day of it. 
My son is somewhat lacking in enthusiasm for paper doilies (at age 14 I do not hold this against him) however I can imagine younger kids would certainly enjoy an afternoon of treats, music and crafty fun.
Why not invite a few of their friends over and reward them with pizza and a movie - a great start to the school holidays. If kids are scarce then have a craft-a-thon tea party? 
Cucumber sandwiches, cupcakes and these guys....



Enjoy peoples.... 
Next post... THE TREE!! 

(excuse all the exclamation marks ... I know, I know... when used in excess they lack punch, it goes against blog-law, it's tacky, it's grammatically incorrect..... blah blah..... I'm sorry but I just don't give a toot.... after all it's CHRISTMAS TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!)

5 comments:

Melissa said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE it all Angy!!!!!!!

Adore your deer stamp and love the bling doilies!!

I am sooo making the lights with my 14 yr old gal...love that we have em the same age....

And one can never have too many cool Christmas tunes of too many !!!!!! in one's life....

Hugs from here to you there sweet crafting friend...M xx


In My Wild Eden said...

I love "cheap, cheerful and easy" and I love that you use a lot of these- !!!! and just don't care. It makes me happy. Your lanterns are beautiful-such a cozy, warm glow. I love your gift tags too. Yep, I like it all!

Vintage Jane said...

I love all the beautiful things you have made here ... paper doilies - what's not to love!!! I love exclamation marks too and use far too many myself!! M x

Dilys said...

What?!!! Talk without the "!!!"! I think not!

Those are great ideas. I've been making button flowers to try to use some of my many buttons, and they are easy and fun. I found out about them by trying to find out what that blue flower you did not know the name of was. I put in button flower, and well I got a bunch of pictures of flower made out of buttons! I've been using old books to make paper petals on some of them, "book blooms" but a lot are just stacked up buttons of various colors and sizes and wire! It helps a lot that my husband had a tool . . . what would we do without them . . . for winding the wire up to make the stems, some kind of safety wire plier. I am going to make your lanterns, I have an old German book with lovely typography! Those make such beautiful light! Thanks for all the great ideas! I can't wait for THE TREE!!

WolvesAtTheDoor said...

All so gorgwa Fras, made smile :)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!