Friday, February 11, 2011

Love n Stuff

 Valentines Day is not revered in our home. This is probably because my hubby is such a romantic at heart, that I'm spoilt most days of the year. Thank you darling! 

For me VD day is about teenage anxiety. I was never the girl given flowers or anonymous cards at school. This usually led to a little teary eyed dreaming; post VD celebrations. Of course I'm over that now, but the empathy continues. So much so that, every year come the 14th of Feb, I have this overwhelming urge to order a dozen red roses; head off to the local high school and make sure that all the awkward, spotty (short haired!) girls get their moment in the sun. Now why is this so? 



Ah! Mystery solved.
Now if your wondering what bizarre 80's band this young lass crooned with, then wonder no more. 
I am (finally) at the age where I can look at this without laughing. I would even go so far as to say...
"I LOVE it"
She is young, enthusiastic, free and spirited.
She is ME.

And so in honour of all that love represents I am dedicating this (early) Valentine post to none other than Moi. I am filling it with things I love and and things (I feel) you can do to celebrate this global day of happiness, cupidness and sometimes stupidness.

To begin my list of pleasantries I would like to recommend my most favourite of all pastimes: listening to music AND instead of recommending specific artists or songs, I would rather recommend activities to be carried out whilst listening to the composition of ones choice. 

A bath? - filled with something that smells delightful, drinking something that tastes delightful and thinking about something that simply IS delightful.
A dance? - remember if no one can see you, no one can laugh, so just go for it!
A meal? - perhaps you can pull out the good china, light the candles, open the vino and belt out an opera tune or two; all the while remembering Duke Orsino's words: 

If music be the food of love, play on,

Give me excess of it; that surfeiting,
The appetite may sicken, and so die.



If you are short of inspiration for the tastebuds then do check out Aran's DIVINE work and recipes on her blog 


Her food is shamelessly healthy, appealing and hedonistic. What more could you ask for?









Now you may want to wear something special for that date with yourself, with Romeo, with Juliet?



Perhaps some delicate bloomers?
Pattern provided by the ridiculously talented Rachel, With a blog that will knock your silk socks off!



 Or perhaps something unique



... a one of a kind just like you.



Well then you simply must visit the cyber homes of Clever Nettle 
  



The only thing surpassing their style being their blogs - and bonus... they sell online!

Or is there an anniversary, a proposal, a somebody sexy?
Do they need a "one of a kind, handcrafted memento?
Please visit the supremely talented Artemis and Nao at Rust.
Warning! You will swoon, if not over the jewellery then certainly over their "wedding from heaven" 
(This blog is a magic carpet ride)


Perhaps your great passion is dirt? Mother nature luring you with the promise of fresh herbs, seedlings, trees and earthworms? Well Anna will have you sorted with an array of gardening gems made by local and international craftspeople, all conveniently sold at my favourite shop in Australia.
The Moss Gardens above are her own creations - Cest Magnifique!



If curling up on a couch with a good book is your thing then please take the time to knock on 
This fantastic artist struck a chord with me from the 
first moment I was a guest in her home.
I usually overstay my welcome - as I'm sure you will too - only because there's music, there's a library, there's tea, there's art...sigh.


...and just before I bid you Adieu, 
here is a very cute Valentines Day idea from the craft heroes at Design Sponge. So simple that any body could make it 



Petite homemade teabags, 
sweet yes?




For a loved one, a deserving mummy, a bestest friend or even just the most important person in everyone's life....









YOU!


PS - This post has inadvertently become a sort of dedication to some of the amazingly talented and generous artists out in the Big Ol World Web.
So I'll make it official, pop open the bubbly and toast you all.
Thank you. 
You inspire me everyday and I know there are so many more out there who agree. You're all stars! 

Having said that credit where credit is due:
Photo 4 - Rachel Red Lips
Photo 5 - Clever Nettle
Photo 7 - Rust
Photo 8 - Mr Sparrow
Photo 10 - Design Sponge

All the other pics are mine

Happy Loving Peoples!

2 comments:

JB said...

Your blog is just as special as the ones mentioned above! absolutely delightful.
Happy Valentines day!

rachel red lips said...

Thanks! although, I can't really take credit for making the pattern...but the tutorial, yes!