Friday, March 30, 2012

Chilly Chicken Love...

Had an operation on Monday
(nothing serious)
but it has required that this week be tackled
a whole lot slower...


... So I have been nursed by Hubby in a fashion that makes 
Florence Nightingale look mean and uncaring...


... tending to my (rather odd) needs, requests, 
whims and of course ...



... tea addiction - as it turns out no operation
can cure this affliction ...


Still - who cares about that when you know that Autumn 
is lurking (which means I'll be wearing my woolies soon!)  and ...
... that tea does in indeed taste better ...


... the cooler the weather. Yes Sir.
I was ecstatic to find myself in slippers and a jumper
this morning due to an overcast sky and a definite chill in the air.
You know what this means don't you?



That's right!! Autmum is here which means ....
(All those crazy summer lovin
 people block your ears now)
Winter is around the corner!!
Whoop whoop!



My meteorological proof lies in the very obvious lack 
of greenery on the branches of our Almond tree.
When she sheds she SHEDS and, although the adjacent Poplar has 
hesitated to affirm the cooler season's approach I find that 
our dear Prunis Dulcis can be trusted.


It's funny that certain plants in the garden bare such testimony to a dry 
and warm summer whilst others 


... look rejuvenated and ready to burst forth into bloom.
Speaking of rejuvenated ...


.... look what I had for breakfast this morning!
It starts off looking like the above photo....



... but then ends up looking like this!
And yes ... I know, I know... looks rather dodgy, but let 
me assure you it's quite yummy.
Papaya, Banana, Lemon, Mint and Kale.
In a blender with filtered water to achieve a "smoothie"
consistency - most nutritious and just what the
body needs right now.


So with liquid breakfast in hand I head
off to the chicken run to collect eggs.


My beautiful girls are always so happy to see me.
This is Lilith - she loves a cuddle.
I love you Lilith.


Here she is with Maris - who does NOT like a cuddle - 
but who does apparently LOOOVE Papaya.
Tropical chooks .... go figure.


Dear sweet, rather daft Daphne ... (but Shhh I never say that in front of her!)
... is still broody - here she is giving me the evil eye
because I need to get Lilith and Maris's eggs out from underneath her...



Once I've managed that she usually comes off the nest for 
a quick catch up with her sister Roz ...
(and just in case you're wondering - Yes... our chickens
are named after all the ladies in Frasier)


... and then a quick feed of oats (her favourite)
before heading back to the nest to keep her (now missing)
eggs warm - should they hatch... which they wont because we
don't have a Rooster. Try telling this to Daphne... Hah... all she does
is cluck away frantically until she is back in the laying box.
I love you Daphne.


And I love you Roz...


And even though you don't like cuddles - I love you too Maris.
What's your week been like peoples?
Your weekend? Any plans?
Mine - Blues and Roots Festival in Fremantle - sans any alcohol...
(should be VERY interesting!!)
Have a good one peoples!! 


2 comments:

Eleni said...

I'm sure you will enjoy a swift recover with a care package like that! Enjoy the winter snuggling, we're done with it for another year! Although it's still chilly round here of course...this is England, after all!

WolvesAtTheDoor said...

I especially like the photo of Lilith Fras!! Hope your feeling tip top soon!